Monday, August 29, 2011

Robson Square Shenanigans

This post is a few days late, as the last Robson Square of the summer was last Friday. But I just wanted to reflect on my experience with this Summer's Robson Square, as it was a big part of my summer here in Vancouver!

I wanted to firstly congratulation Mr. Andrew Miller, Sarah Vaughan and the Robson Square Series Committee for such a successful summer. This is a huge project to undertake, and the dedicated team put a lot of their time and effort into putting this on for the public every Friday night in July and August.

Robson this year was amazing! It was great to see many old faces again and to meet a lot of new people from the UBC dance club, or people I've never gotten the chance to meet. There were nights I wish I could have danced more, but I was glad to be helping out as a volunteer (I am an expert on bag-check now :P and also a collection "bunny" haha). I especially enjoyed the performances; it was inspiring to see many couples still dancing after all these years, and also the formation of new partnerships that I feel have a lot of great potential (eg. Kevin and Yukie). And another kudos to Andrew and Andrea, because they are such fantastic dancers. I'm really glad Andrew has finally found someone like her to dance with because I've felt he has been held back by his previous partners (with various reasons) and therefore cannot exceed his potential. From what he's described of her, I feel she has great passion for dance and wants to improve as much as he does. They are such a good match and it was great to watch them dance.

I also really enjoyed our late, late night eats after finishing up at Robson. Late night om nom-ing of congee and prawns and spicy squid and tofu was so good after a hard night of working and dancing :P

On the last night of Robson (last Friday), I brought my sisters camera (mine was not charged) to take lots of pictures with people. Being the busy night it was, and because I wanted to dance a lot, I ended up only taking one. But I'm glad it was this one, because I got a picture with some people I worked in the bag-check booth in :) It was fun (although sometimes frustrating, when the bags were out of order which made them very hard to find).

From left to right: Cindy, me, Michael, Ahmad

There were many, many more volunteers, but like mentioned before, we were pretty busy :S

I know I'll miss our awesome Robson nights and seeing these people every Friday night. But I'll look forward to future shenanigans that we'll have!

No comments:

Post a Comment